Friday, July 17, 2009

Ngiyaphila futhi

Ngiyaphila futhi: I live again. As in, I wasn't living (or was barely living, anyway) last week. So if you were worried, you were right to be worried: I was laid up in hospital for a day (after being laid up in bed for almost a week) with what was prematurely diagnosed as a chronic ulcerative condition (I'll spare you the embarrassing/painful details) but what turned out to be a particularly vicious infection. But ngingcono manje [I'm better now], and ngiyaphila futhi.

Unfortunately, as a result of spending a lot of time in bed and a little time in hospital, I have very little of interest to tell you (unless you're interested in comparative health care systems, or something lame like that). And we're leaving today for our second and final home stay -- this time, two weeks in a rural location -- so the blog will probably be out of commission for most of the next two weeks, but with luck I'll return with better Zulu (I know, I know, you don't really care about that) and a few more stories for you.

Kuze kube sihlangana futhi, nisale kahle, bangane bami. Until we meet again, stay well, my friends.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you are better. Sounds like it was nasty AND painful... Poor baby.

    But now moving on.... I am a faithful reader and fan. I would like to put in a small request: We need more travel stories -- what is the weather like? Have you made any new friends? What are the other students like? Have you any funny interactions to share? Any interesting culture shock stories or culture difference observations? As much as we are all loving the Zulu lessons, I think I would like to learn more about the South African people. What do you say, Joeski? Can you enlighten us with some relationship stories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very relieved you are back and amoung the living! Welcome back!
    It was great to see your better half last week. It was so nice that she was able to make the long trip to the West coast. Very grateful.

    Best of luck and continued good health on the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Great Disapprover is also glad to hear you are better as one can see with the ever present Zulu lessons. I have to agree with Honey Dijon's request. I think you might have more responses if you included something other than Zulu words which we lesser informed folks struggle with. :-)

    ReplyDelete