Monday, June 29, 2009

igama elisha, umndeni omusha, ukudla okusha

New name, new family, new diet. And, soon, a new job...

First, the new name. We had a guest lecturer last week who explained the meanings and cultural significance of names and naming in Zulu culture. She of course asked what all of our Zulu names were, and when I told her that I am Ntshebe (see previous post) she offered me a related name: Mahlekehlathini, or "He who laughs in the forest." So now I've got two names, the second even more ridiculous than the first.

I also have a new family: the Mchunus. I am staying with them in Mbali township this week. There are seven of us: Baba, Mama, Nomcebo, Mnqobile, Sinethemba (i.e. my two sisters and one brother) and little Aphiwe, my (10 month-old) nephew (ngesiZulu, he is "mshana wami" and I am his malume [uncle]). They've been wonderful to me so far, even if Aphiwe wakes us all up at 4am. I've been putting in my hours at their spaza shop (convenience store) around the corner, and they in turn have been taking good care of me and feeding me very well...

But feeding me well involves me feeding me lots and lots of meat: chicken, pork, steak, etc etc. I went into the trip fully prepared for the possibility that I would have to fall off the vegetarian wagon temporarily, and so far I am surviving. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the possibility that I, myself, would be charged with the task of...slaughtering a goat. And a cow. Scheduled for later this week; stay tuned for details...

5 comments:

  1. Joeski
    When are you going to tour Oprah Winfrey's Leadership Academy for Girls? It is right there in South Africa and I hear Miss Oprah is there for visit right now! I call THAT perfect timing!

    Enough with the goat and cow talk and give your readers what they really want: SOUTH AFRICAN CELEBRITY GOSSIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that we really want to know:

    What is Chelsea Davis up to?

    Are she and Prince Harry really into as much PDA as it seems?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Honey Dijon, you are sadly mistaking. We do want to hear about the goat slaughtering, and maybe a cow. Please take pictures of the slaughter, and pain your face with their boold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slaughtering livestock in South Africa might even be cooler than tending bar in Ireland. Well, except for the whole moral/ethical conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am enjoying your blog hope you dont overdue the meat...

    ReplyDelete