June 16th is Youth Day ["Usuku," day, "lwentsha," of the youth] in South Africa, which commemorates the Soweto Uprising [called the "Soweto Riots" by those less appreciative of the coming of democracy in South Africa] of 1976, in which students [in Soweto, or the SOuth WEstern TOwnships of Johannesburg] staged widespread school boycotts to protest mandatory instructions in Afrikaans. Appropriately, we spent Youth Day, our first full day in Pietermaritzburg, touring several sites of historical significance: we started downtown with the Gandhi statue and the monument commemorating British deaths in the Anglo-Boer War (which is being preserved for its historical significance in iNingizimu Afrika enthsa, the new South Africa). From there we moved on to the Pietermaritzburg train station, which I'm sure you will all recall was the place at which Gandhi was booted off the train because he refused to move out of the first class car. Thus launched his career, and a whole lot of history, and the train station itself was an eerie place, though perhaps that's just because it was mostly empty while we were there (although it is still functional).
Later that day, we visited two spots connected to another famous freedom fighter: Nelson Mandela. We started with the house, now a bit rundown, where Mandela gave his last speech before being arrested, convicted, and imprisoned. We then drove to and through Howick, and stopped at the spot where uMandela waboshwa [Mandela was captured/arrested]. There isn't a whole lot there yet -- just a modest monument on the side of the road -- but it was also an eerie place, and apparently there are plans to build a proper museum there as well. So, all in all, not a bad (Youth) day: two towering political figures for the price of (n)one, and we were back in time to watch some Confederations Cup soccer (which I am trying to be excited about, since I feel bad when enthusiastic South Africans ask what I thought of the U.S. performance the previous night and I have absolutely nothing to say). One final thought: if you're into soccer and plan to follow the World Cup, you might want to know that the South African team is known here as Bafana Bafana ["abafana" is boys; go ahead and say it twice].
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, Hello Joe,
ReplyDeleteThis is only the third time in two days The Great Disapprover posts something and as she checks back, it is not on your blog, even though the message came up that it has been published.
One of the messages was asking you about the cow dung? Very interesting that is applied to the (dirt?) floor. Must be a good reason. Can you enlighten us?
Another message gives credit to Honey Dijon's attempts to help us post an entry.
Well, The Great Disapprover is sure you have better things to do than read this whine.
I say Nisale Kahle to you and your readers. I don't remember what it means, but I do remember you saying this was when you addressed more than one person. I'll go back someday and read the entry where it tells us what it means!
Adios!
Double-checking my entry. Said it was published and it looks like it was, same as last few times. Oh well, we'll see if it's there when I return on the Twelth of Never.
ReplyDeleteTGD