Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ngiyanemukela!

Sanibonani nonke! Ngiyanemukela! Hi everyone, and welcome to Uhambo lo Mhambi. I leave for South Africa tomorrow (or today, I guess, since it's now after midnight), but I wanted to test out the blog before I left, and also explain the title of and reason for the blog. Here goes...

First, the title: Uhambo lo Mhambi was the title Tiyo Soga gave to his (1868) Xhosa translation of Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, so I have borrowed (stolen? appropriated?) both the title and a passage from Soga's introduction. "Uhambo lo Mhambi" would translate more literally as something like "The Traveler's Trip," but pilgrim is not a bad word to describe me: not so much in the sense of "A person who makes a journey (usually of a long distance) to a sacred place as an act of religious devotion" or the more Bunyan-esque sense of "a person travelling through life, esp. one who undertakes a course of spiritual development leading towards heaven, a state of blessedness, etc.," but definitely in the sense of "A person on a journey, a person who travels from place to place; a traveller, a wanderer, an itinerant," and absolutely in the sense of "a person who makes a journey to visit a place of particular significance or interest, esp. as an act of homage, respect, etc." (Side note: it's cool to read the OED). Anyway, I'm the traveler and this blog is about my trip...

There is at least one sense in which the title doesn't fit: Soga was translating into Xhosa, but I'm going to KwaZulu-Natal, to work on my isiZulu and learn more about amasiko amaZulu [Zulu culture]. But "uhambo lo mhambi" means pretty much the same thing in Zulu, so just go ahead and ignore the fact that I have named my blog about my time in Zululand after a famous Xhosa text. And go ahead and follow Soga's instructions, too: accompany me, take rest while (or whilst, or whatever) listening to the things I am going to tell/report to you, and -- if you don't get bored between now and August -- move along with me to the end of my journey. I'll be at the University of KZN for five of the eight weeks, and then I will stay with families (a week in Mbali township and two weeks at Maqongqo, a rural village) for the other three weeks. Many thanks to UPenn for running the program, and to the U.S. govt for funding it -- your tax dollars at work! I'll try to post as often as I can, and maybe share some pictures.

A caveat: my good friend Liz has talked me into doing this blog, but this is an isiZulu immersion program, so the point is to not speak English, and it's entirely possible that I will bore you to death with lots of talk (in English) about the (Zulu) language and very little about anything else. So if you're looking for a safari, go watch Expedition Africa on the History Channel; if you want to hear all about how desperately I am struggling to improve my Zulu, then stay right here. And feel free to post your comments; you might want to tell me that this was ixoxo elihle [a good chat], but you probably wouldn't want to tell me that it was ixoxo elibi [a bad/ugly/evil chat].

So stayed tuned for my first report from South Africa, and until then, Nisale kahle [stay well]!

4 comments:

  1. South Africa? I thought you were going to South America.... I thought we were going to see pictures of hot Argentinian men and beautiful sandy beaches. I thought you were going to learn to tango. Zulu and South Africa? Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one pronounce "ixoxo"?

    In my native textspeak, I would read it as "I kiss and hug and kiss and hug (you)."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Great Disapprover says "Hmmm, this might be interesting. Time will tell."
    Bon Voyage, bonne chance and nisale kahle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying your blog. :) I'll have one up soon as well in case you care to hear about my experiences in Qatar. I'm sorry we didn't get to connect while we were both still in the States but I have faith that we'll see each other BEFORE my three-year contract is up. Take care!

    ReplyDelete