Sanibonani bangane bami -- hello my friends! We arrived in Durban today, and I walked to the beach and stood in the Indian Ocean for the first time. More to come later, but because I'm paying (a lot) per minute, I'll just give my commenters (whom I appreciate greatly) two quick Zulu lessons:
First, there was a question about the proper pronunciation of "ixoxo," and I'll take that question on since it's a good one: the "x" is a click, similar to the sound you make (or you would make, if you had a horse and rode it) when you want your horse to get moving. The "i" sounds more like an "e," and the "o" sounds pretty much like (y)our English "o" -- so now you have all the tools you need. Just put it altogether and practice at home...
Second, I appreciate the enthusiasm with which one of my commenters picked up on "nisale kahle," but presuming she was speaking to me, in the singular, she should have said, "usale kahle." The verb stem is "sala," and the "u" is for the (2nd person) singular, while the "ni" is for the (2nd person) plural. So the imperative "Nisale kahle" is what I say to all of you, and then you can say "Usale kahle" back to me. ALTHOUGH...since I was leaving, you also could have told me to go, and not stay, well. In which case, you can/would say: "Hamba kahle!"
And ngihambe kahle -- I went well. And I'll tell you more about it later...
Until then, salani kahle, bangane bami! [Stay well, my friends -- same thing, just in a slightly different form]
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey joe,
ReplyDeleteglad you arrived safely. hope you are having fun and playing fair with the other kids. i miss our cohort and nyc, but my research is going well. keep posting!
lamb